- Compare: Top 6 Rated Electric Massagers of 2017
- Reasons to buy a back massager
- Benefits of back massagers
- Types of back massagers
- How do personal back massagers work?
- Different back massager products
- Tips for choosing the best back massager
- Chair back massagers help too
- Tips for choosing back massager chairs
Nothing is more blissful than returning home to a beautiful massage after a stressful day. The muscle tension, body stiffness after lifting more than you can manage and stress at the office can take its toll on you if left untreated.
Prevention is always better than cure. Popping painkillers may give you temporary relief from your body and back pain. It is a massage which helps ease pain and soothe muscles. While massages were once considered a luxury to be enjoyed only at spas or health clubs, doctors and other medical professionals consider taking a massage a more mainstream therapy.
While a full body does make you feel relaxed rejuvenated, just massaging your back relaxes you and gives you lots of benefits as all the body’s nerves run through the spine. While it’s not practical or possible for everyone to have a personal masseuse or even head to the massage parlor everyday for a massage, there’s now something even better to the rescue in the market, back massagers.
Compare: Top 6 Rated Electric Massagers of 2017
No time for a back massage? Why not bring the masseur the Zyllion Shiatsu pillow massager with heat to your home instead! With the ZMA-13-BK at home you can enjoy a Shiatsu-style massage anytime you want.
The cordless shiatsu neck & back massager with heat has 4 deep-kneading rotating nodes which effectively relieve you of muscle tension, aches and knots. Ergonomically designed to fit into the small of your back or neck, you just have to sit back and press the ‘On’ button while the massager melts stress away. Its 20-min auto shut-off and overheat protection device ensures the massager’s safe usage.
- 4 deep-kneading rotating shiatsu massage nodes reverses directions with each massage session
- Heating feature enhances blood circulation and soothes aching muscles
- Ultra slim and compact in design to take up just 3.5 inches of space
- Adjustable straps let you strap the massager to your favorite chair
- Overheat protection automatically switches off the massage pillow when the massager exceeds the working temperature
- Made of top-quality easy to clean leather
- Comes with a car charger and portable adapter
- Cheap and weak construction
- Can’t put too much weight on it as it slows down motors or breaks plastic parts
- Joint connector tends to separate and prevent using the machine in bed
- Some consumers complain that a pair of rotating balls do not turn or heat up periodically
- Can get uncomfortable when driving as there’s no cushion on the bottom edge
- May not work on parts of the body which is not flat
The Five Star 10-motor vibration massage seat cushion with heat-neck-shoulder-back and thigh massager is just what your tired muscles may be yearning for. This is a massage seat cushion which uses 10 vibration motors to massage your aching parts while providing soothing heat for the lower back regions.
There are altogether 8 push buttons for 4 massage programs and 4 massage zones, power on/off and heat on/off buttons on this hand control unit. As it’s heating element can be independently switched on or off, you can decide if you want a heated or ordinary massage.
- Offers 10 vibration motor for neck, shoulder, back and thigh massages
- Soothe lower back pain with its heating feature
- 4 massage programs with 3 massage speeds to choose from
- 4 massage zones to apply appropriate pressure while massaging different parts of the body
- A portable unit which can be conveniently used at home, office or car as needed
- Comes with a car and AC adapter
- Programmed to automatically shut down after 30 minutes of use
- Has a 3 year factory warranty and 30 days no-questions asked refund policy
- AC adapter cord is a bit short which can be inconvenient as all chairs may not be near a power outlet
- Not a shiatsu massage but a vibrating massage which does not give deep tissue massage
- Some complain it’s massage does not eliminate back pain as does not reach deep tissues
The Pure-Wave CM7 cordless facial and body massager will give you more reason to return home after a long day at the office. This is a powerful cordless high speed percussion massager with a variable speed dial used to adjust the percussion or vibration as necessary. It’s lightweight and ergonomically designed with an easy to hold long handle which proves helpful at reaching hard-to-reach areas.
The Pure Wave personal massager comes with 6 different massage heads to choose for the style and firmness of your massage. It comes with an additional facial vibration motor in its handle which operates up to 10,000 RPM using specially designed facial and scalp massage attachments.
- Powerful and cordless rechargeable percussion back massager
- Percussion motor operates up to 3700 RPM while facial vibration motor operates up to 10,000 RPM
- Speed dial for adjusting vibration or percussion intensity as needed
- Uniquely designed percussion attachments relieves muscle tension, aches, pains and knots
- Lightweight and easy to reach design with an extra long handle
- Comes with easy-to-follow instructional videos
- Has specially designed facial and scalp massage attachments
- Has 6 massage sticks for massaging different body areas
- A total of 6 attachments on the back massager
- Some find the Pure-Wave CM7 to be rather heavy and awkward to use on the lower back
- Some complain that there was smell of plastic burning after turning on the massager
- Poor customer support
- The rotator head may break after limited usage
The shiatsu back, neck and foot massager is a black kneading massage pillow with selectable heat feature. It’s selectable heated massage helps produce relaxing warmth which loosens muscles to enhance the massage’s rejuvenating and therapeutic effects.
The shiatsu neck & back massager with heat offers superior deep massage capabilities with it’s 4 improved massage nodes which target all the hard to reach muscles. It’s bi-directional movement feature makes it feel like you are getting a personal massage while using it. In addition to this, its multi-position feature makes it possible to use the massager to massage not only your back and neck but also your shoulders and waist.
- 2 power supplies (AC and car adapter) make it possible to use the massager both at home and in your car
- Selectable heat feature loosens tight muscles
- 4 massage nodes reaches deep into tissues to create a professional spa experience
- Can be used in two directions to sooth neck, back, waist and shoulders
- Has a 15-minutes auto shutoff feature
- Comes with a 90 day guarantee and 3 year replacement warranty
- Easy to maneuver the massager from neck to shoulders and mid back as arms are in a sling
- No batteries needed
- The massager doesn’t run without any power source so it has to be plugged in to use
- Not a portable device as it cannot be charged and does not run on batteries
- Heat is not very noticeable or effective
- Some complain the product literally melted within an hour’s use
- Not very hands-free in function as your arms remain tugged against the straps to remain on your shoulders
Got a stiff neck carrying your baby all day long? The Gideon Powerful Vibrating Massager Seat Cushion should help give relief through it’s 8 vibrating points which deeply penetrate into your neck to relieve stress, aches and tension. It also features an optional heat therapy which radiates warmth to soothe and loosen all your tightened muscles.
You have 8 programmed massaging patterns to choose from to enjoy a customized massage in the comfort of your home or office. This back massager for car is so convenient to use as you just have to strap it onto the chair you use at home or office and of course, your car seat. It’s so convenient that you can fold it to store away after use.
It’s corded hand control keypad is easy to use. With its illuminated LCD screen, there’s no problem using the massage cushion even in darkness. It can be used connected to either an AC outlet or a DC car plug.
- Helps provide relief from stress, aches and tensions
- Has 8 vibrating points which deeply penetrate into muscle fibers to release tension and knots
- Optional heat therapy radiates warmth to soothe and loosen tight muscles
- 8 massage patterns to choose from
- Convenient to use- just strap onto your existing chair
- Can be folded to store after use
- Easy-to-use corded hand control keypad with illuminated LCD screen
- Can be used plugged into an AC outlet or DC car plug
- Difficult to sit on for extended periods of time like long car rides because of ¾” tall hard blocks
- It’s important that the massager is unplugged when not in use as its microchip can get damaged with power surges
- Strap doesn’t fit lower office chairs; only high back chairs
The Naturalico Shiatsu Massager is the next best thing for sore muscles and a stress releaser to a personal masseuse. You can experience a spa-quality massage at home with its four-rotating nodes which knead shiatsu pressure to give a relaxing massage. The added soothing heat reaches deep down into muscle fibers to help release all the accumulated tension and pain.
As the massager is versatile, lightweight and portable in design, it can be used in the office or at home as a deep muscle relaxer. It is it’s bi-direction massage movements which gives you a massage similar to a personal massage which eventually helps you quickly reach deep REM sleep.
- Uses the help of multiple massage nodes to knead pressure and relax muscles with shiatsu massage
- Offers soothing heat to which releases strain and pain by reaching deep into muscle fibers
- Reduces muscle tightness and improves flexibility
- Helps improve recovery times after injuries by increasing circulation
- Induces more restful sleep with its bi-direction movement
- Lightweight and handheld design which works all over the body
- Comes with AC adapter and car adapter to use at home, work or on the go
- Auto shutoff feature for additional safety
- Too short a power cord
- Not many movement choices
- Some consumers complain of it leaving bruises on the back
- Some complain it’s too bulky to use for a massage
Reasons to buy a back massager
It is everyday stress which builds up at certain points like your neck and back which manifests itself as physical pain. A back massager like the Homedics handheld back massager helps a lot at easing any pain you feel by soothing your back and body muscles.
These personal back massagers are affordably priced for anyone to use. It’s also easy to use; you just have to switch it on and you can start using it within seconds. It thus saves you time as you needn’t make an appointment, or spend time travelling to a massage therapist for a massage. Moreover, as back massagers are portable, you can carry them along even on trips or keep them handy in your car, office or home to use as required.
Portable back massagers are also rather helpful at giving you some relief from that itch you can’t reach and scratch on your back. They help with pain management to give relief from your body aches and pains. You can choose between specific massagers like deep muscle massagers and heated back massagers to use for both full body massages and spot massages.
Benefits of back massagers
The most obvious benefit of using a back massager handheld is pain relief, help at calming down of stiff muscles and giving you better energy and flexibility to help you feel like a new person with better health.
They also offer the following benefits:
- Upper back tension relief
Too much of stress, immobility and repetitive motion can lead to neck and shoulder pain. Instead of taking a painkiller which gives momentary relief, it’s better getting an upper back massage which effectively releases the built-up tension and reduce any muscular pains.
- Relief from lower back pain
The best massagers for back give you relief from lower back pain after strenuous workouts or sitting at the deck for prolonged hours. As they are usually lightweight and convenient to use, there’s no difficult at using it to reach and massage your strained lower back.
- Better sleep
Sometimes stiff muscles can make it rather difficult for you to fall asleep or even to stay in deep sleep after falling asleep. If this is the case, a back massager helps relax your back muscles so that you feel relaxed and fall asleep to enjoy better sleep.
- Makes you feel good
A massage is just what the doctor ordered to make you feel good, happy and relaxed as it stimulates the production of ‘feel good’ hormones like endorphins, serotonin and dopamine. You in fact stop taking pain killers because you feel good, and this in turn helps prevent back pain related anxiety and depression.
- Quickens healing
A back massage helps improve your range of motion while exercising and carrying out your everyday activities by healing tight and weak back muscles and tissues even in those with a long history of back pain. Moreover a back massage helps reduce scar tissue and stretch marks and also helps improve joint flexibility.
- Increased blood circulation
Back massages effectively help improve blood circulation in the body by increasing blood flow. This in turn brings oxygen and nutrient rich blood to the muscles and important organs.
Back massagers help pregnant women by reducing the lower back pain felt during labour to make childbirth much easier.
Types of back massagers
There are various types of back massagers to choose from which massage your back to provide relief in various ways. They are:
- A back massager with heat has heated nodes which warm up while massaging the right places. Some models even let you increase and reduce the heat produced as required.
- Vibrating back massagers which use both vibration and heat to provide the right pressure at eliminating muscle tension through various vibrating nodes.
- Kneading massagers have balls rolling from one end to the other which helps give a better back massage.
- Acupressure massagers deliver acupressure at the affected muscles while massaging so that there is no tension in the muscle at all.
How do personal back massagers work?
You don’t need to have any particular massaging skills or techniques to use a personal back massager. These devices are rather intuitive in performance and lightweight, making it convenient for you to use it alone, or with another person’s help to get a good massage. Different massagers use different methods or techniques to help provide back pain relief like:
- Vibration to reduce muscle tension
- Heating elements to relax muscles by warming them
- Rollers which create effects similar to a shiatsu massage
- Acupressures where soft points help stimulate the different areas in pain.
Different back massager products
Back massagers are also available as different products which work best in different locations and purposes:
1. Car seat massage cushions are attached over the car seat. They are meant to be used while driving where it heats up on plugging into the car’s charging device. These car back massagers are very helpful while driving and some can also be used on your bed, office chair, recliner or wheelchairs for comfort. They provide relief from lumbar soreness which occurs due to prolonged sitting while driving or sitting at the keyboard.
2. A back massager for chair provides a comfortable massage as you sit back and relax on them. They recline and have various settings to use on different body parts to give you a massage even while you are working at the office.
3. Foot massagers are available as electric, mechanical or water-based models where the water-based ones release tension in the feet with the help of water jets or a vibrating base.
4. Neck massager is either wrapped around the neck or used as a cushion point to work on pressure points.
5. Shower massager is a handheld massager which massages using a shower spray.
6. Handheld roller gives a massage by stimulating pressure points when rolled on the skin. They come in various materials like plastic, rubber and wood.
7. Calf and leg massager works on the basis of acupressure or shiatsu where rollers and compression is used on the thighs and calves.
Tips for choosing the best back massager
Looking at all the benefits offered by back massagers, you definitely will look forward to owning one. However you may find it confusing choosing the best back massager as there is so many models and types in the market to choose from. So this buying guide should prove helpful at making the right choice.
- Manual or electric
You need to choose your personal massager based on how it is operated. While some run on battery power, others require no electrical power and are ideal for use by people constantly on the move. Manual models are also better if you want to apply the right pressure to tight muscles. An electric back massager is easy to operate to do everything for you as long as it is powered.
- Intensity levels
Massagers with various intensity levels can provide different levels of massages. All you need to do is touch a button to increase or reduce its intensity level to choose as per your massage needs.
- Areas to treat
While back massagers are specifically bought to give back massages, it’s better if the massager can massage and relieve muscle tension in other parts too. There are some back and neck massagers which are contoured to massage different parts like the back, neck and shoulder.
- Size and weight
Choose the massager’s size and weight depending on whether you want to take it with you while travelling or wok or not. There are some models which are easily folded to carry around and others which fit into your backpack, purse or luggage. Besides portability, size and weight affects the massagers’ usability. It’s easier massaging with lighter models as they are easier to use and carry around.
- Various modes
Massagers with various modes prove helpful at coping with new or repetitive stress you experience in your day to day activities. You can make your massage routine more interesting by switching between different modes and programs. Use the help of intensity controls to get a light massage for muscles too sore to endure much more, and a high massage when you need a very intense massage for complete relief.
- Additional features
Heated back massagers with a timer are a better buy as it switches off the massager in case you feel so relaxed that you fall asleep while using the massager. This in turn can help prevent unnecessary accidents and bruises caused by the massager producing unnecessary heat as it’s switched on even when not in use.
Massagers with an automatic shut-off feature can also prevent accidental overworking of muscles which leave them vulnerable. Check the power cord length of the electronic back massager as if it is too short, a battery-powered model may be a better option.
Corded back massagers with too short power cords are not flexible enough to use for a full body or back massage. Of course, it goes without saying that a massager with easy to use and understand controls are always a better buy.
As you will be using the massager mainly to treat your back neck and shoulders, make sure the chair massage pad can reach those areas. sometimes a chair massage pad seems to be a more logical and feasible option than an entire massage chair as you can move the pad and use it on your favourite couch or chair. They are anyway easily installed and can be strapped in a few seconds’ time.
Chair back massagers help too
If your work involves your sitting at the desk for prolonged hours, there is a very high chance of it being the cause for your back pain. As leaving the job is not a practical remedy, you need to find something to help curb the back pain which develops with prolonged sitting.
This is best achieved with the help of a back massager chair which gives you a massage at the desk while you continue working. The massage helps you relax and removes most of the strain and tension built up in your back to free your muscles.
Massage chairs like homedic back massager has grown in popularity for its convenience, mobility and time efficiency. You can choose your chair based on its features like the homedics shiatsu back massager which uses pressing, swaying and rolling movements to target the entire body.
There are some chair back massagers which offer Swedish massages with light intensity kneading movements. The zero-gravity chairs recline to zero-gravity position to give a massage. It’s better trying out the chairs to find out which gives you the best massage experience.
Tips for choosing back massager chairs
Choose your chair based on your budget as massage chairs are available from anywhere between a few hundreds to a few thousands of dollars, based on its features, manufacturing company and quality of materials used. If you are looking for a chair back massager, you needn’t buy a chair with a foot recliner. Just buy a machine with features you know and can afford to use every day.
Choose a massage chair which your office or home can accommodate as these chairs are naturally huge and bulky and cannot be tucked just anywhere. So measure your room and calculate how much of space your massage chair will occupy before buying one. There are some chairs with wheels for easy moving around.
Look for a durable chair as you will be using it rather frequently. It’s worth the investment even if you have to pay more for it. Choose chairs with a modular design as it’s much easier repairing them. You can remove and replace a broken part instead of paying for an entire new chair.
Check the warranty period and it’s coverage as it should at least cover labour and part costs. It’s better if they offer at least a month’s unconditional cash back guarantee as it indicates the company believes in their product and its durability.
It’s better if the company has a chat service or toll-free number you can use to resolve any problems you have. Also check its return policy, especially if you are buying your massager online. There are some companies which do not offer a no-return policy which is risky for you as you will be stuck with the massager if you are not happy with it.
Looking at all this you will definitely feel that a chair or handheld neck and back massager or even a massage pad is a good investment to make as it provides relief from aching back muscles. It helps make you feel good as you feel relaxed using the massager.
However there are so many types and models of back massagers available like homedics back massager and shark tank back massager that you may find it difficult choosing the best handheld back massager for your individual needs.
This is why a few best massager for back reviews have been compiled so that you can take a look and choose and decide on the best product to use for your comfort.