Electric blankets are blankets that contain integrated electrical heating wires. The wires produce heat when a current flows through them that allow users to maintain desired temperatures throughout when sleeping especially during a cold season.
Many prefer to use electric blankets over other heating apparatus due to the reduced heating costs. Unlike other heating systems, the sensors in an electric blanket can detect mild changes in air and skin temperatures and adjust the temperature accordingly. Some blankets are even engineered using state of the art technology that allows them to meet the different heat needs of a user’s body parts. For instance, the blanket can generate more heat to the legs and less to the head thus leaving the feet warmer and the head cooler. The inverse is also possible.
Lower costs and comfort are not the only benefits of electric blankets. These blankets also have therapeutic benefits as well. According to studies, the heat produced by electric blankets has been proven to relieve pains associated with muscle stiffness and joints. As such, patients suffering from Arthritis are guaranteed some relief from their pains.
The blankets also contribute to allergy relief. They work to reduce humidity in a room which deters the habitation of dust mites and other organisms that cause asthma and allergies.
Thinking of Buying an Electric Blanket? Consider these 10 options to keep you warm.
Are you looking for an electric blanket that will save you between 5-15% of your annual heating bill? If so, you might be interested in the Sunbeam Quilted Fleece blanket. This blanket is made purely from Polyester fibers which are very durable and extremely strong. The material is also highly averse to stretching and shrinking. The blanket is quilted i.e. comprised of two layers of polyester filled with some padding and held together by lines of stitching. This quilting helps to sustain more heat when sleeping during the cold months. If you have a thermostat you will find yourself setting it at much lower temperatures thus reducing your energy costs.
- 100% polyester – Polyester fibers are extremely strong and durable guaranteeing a long life.
- Quilted design – The air filled pads as a result of quilting enhances the blankets ability to maintain warmth.
- Machine washable – Can be tossed into a washing machine for cleaning without any damage.
- Auto sensory mechanism – It can detect temperature changes and increase the heat accordingly to maintain the desired temperature.
- 10 heat settings – to enable the user to set his desired temperature with a greater degree of accuracy.
- In some cases the product stops working after a few months of use.
Looking for a blanket that you can wrap yourself in during the cold winter months that is both cozy and luxurious? If so, the Sunbeam Microplush might be worth considering. This is an elegant electrical blanket that comprises of a luscious color and wonderfully stitched edges guaranteed to inject some pomp into any environment and complement any room. It is available in various sizes – among them a king and queen size. The king and queen size electric blankets come with 2 controllers to facilitate easy temperature adjustment. The blanket also possesses up to 10 different heat settings to guarantee the user gets to enjoy the desired temperature.
- 100% polyester – polyester is highly resistant to abrasion, stretching and wrinkles guaranteeing an elegant appearance for a long period.
- Pre-heat feature – Allows the user to warm the bed before snuggling in it.
- ComfortTec controller – Enables the user to adjust the blanket’s configurations via push button controls through a digital display.
- 10 hour auto-off function – Automatically shuts down the blanket after 10 hours.
- 10 heat settings – Enables the user to choose the most appropriate temperature.
- Automatically adjusts to maintain the desired warmth.
- The product is susceptible to malfunctions e.g. may fail to turn on.
- Sometimes the product does not match the advertised picture.
Are you looking for a king size electric blanket to use in your king sized bed? The Sunbeam luxurious Velvet Plush King heated blanket might be exactly what you need. This blanket measures 100 by 90 inches ensuring it surrounds the entire bed easily. For extra comfort, it is built with up to 20 personalized heat settings to enable the user adjust the temperature accordingly to suit the changes in his body. Depending on the temperature that is chosen, the thermofine system that is integrated into the blanket will monitor any temperature fluctuations and adjust the heat to ensure consistent warmth is maintained throughout.
- Machine washable – Can be tossed in a washing machine with detergent for a quick clean.
- 20 personalized heat settings – Provides the user with more options to set the perfect temperature.
- Dual controller – Enables easy manipulation of the blanket settings
- Pre-heat feature – Allows for prior warming of the bed before sleeping
- Jumbo size – Measures 100 by 90 inches – sufficient to cover a king sized bed.
- Thermofine warming system – measures temperature deviations and adjusts the temperature accordingly to maintain consistent warmth.
- 5 year warranty
- Susceptible to malfunctions e.g. some units may have hot/cold spots or malfunction entirely after a few months of use.
Looking for a blanket with a short fuzzy surface that has a high resistance to deformation, is both light and comfortable and possesses good insulation properties? If so, the Sunbeam Velvet Plush heated blanket, full size, Mushroom might be exactly what you’re looking for. This blanket is made from Velvet which is one of the strongest natural fibers available. With this blanket, users will be able to enjoy both a warm and gentle slumber in bed or enjoy great comfort and warmth while they’re curled up on their sofa. Due to its high resistance to deformation, the fabric is guaranteed to maintain its external appeal for longer periods in either situations of use.
- 10 heat settings – Comes together with a pre-heat option to facilitate more convenience to the user.
- Exclusive wiring system – Ensures heat is distributed evenly throughout the blanket.
- 10 hour auto-off feature – Works as a disabling safety feature to prevent any potential safety hazards.
- Made from velvet – Velvet is light, highly comfortable and highly resistant to deformation. It also possesses good insulation properties enabling the blanket to sustain warmth for a longer period after shutting down.
- Energy saver – Reduces the annual heating bill by 5-15%.
- The wires can be felt within the fabric which can sometimes disrupt comfort.
The Soft heat luxury micro-fleece low-voltage blanket is a double control electric blanket that is suitable for users who want a soft heating blanket over a regular warming one. Compared to regular heated blankets, this soft heat blanket uses much less current than that used to illuminate a light bulb. This makes it a highly efficient energy consumption product for users looking to conserve energy. The technology assimilated into this king size electric blanket includes a power supply box that converts Alternating Current (AC) into low voltage Direct Current (DC) ensuring the blanket is very safe to use by both humans and pets.
- Ultra soft – Made from pure polyester which is soft but also very strong.
- Resists shrinking – Polyester tends to retain its shape and size after washing.
- Low voltage technology – Enables the blanket to save more energy and makes it significantly safer to use than others.
- Highly comfortable – Does not contain bulky heating wires which may disrupt comfort.
- Over-heating protection – Prevents the blanket from producing too much heat
- Pre-heating feature – Makes sure the bed is warm before jumping in.
- Dual lighted controls
- Some units burn out easily i.e. totally malfunction between 1-2 years of use.
Are you suffering from pains related to muscle joints and stiffness and you need a blanket that offers therapeutic warmth to help you recover. If so, the Bidderford 6000-9051136 blanket might just suit your needs. This blanket is available in full King and Queen sizes and bears an assortment of decorative colors to elevate your moods and make you feel like you’re somewhere beautiful. The stitching is also above par giving this blanket a more finished look than others in the market. It also comes with up to 10 heat settings and an extra long cord (13 ft) for added convenience.
- 10 heat settings – Provides users with a variety of temperatures to choose from.
- Dual temperature control – Makes it easy to adjust the blanket’s temperatures on large beds.
- Machine wash – The blanket can be washed with a machine without any adverse effects.
- 100% polyester – Polyester contains strong fibers that are highly resistant to wear and tear thus guaranteeing longevity.
- Twin, Full, King and Queen Sizes – To suit users with large bed sizes.
- Elegant appearance – It contains decorative colors that give it an aesthetically pleasing look.
- Some units are susceptible to malfunction e.g. the temperature controllers may suddenly stop working.
Are you tired of sleeping with twin size electric blankets that contain uncomfortable bulky wires? If so, consider acquiring the Soft heat ultra micro-plush low-voltage triple-rib king size blanket. This is considered to be one of the best electric blankets in the market due to its extremely thin wires. Unlike with most heated blankets, the wires are seamlessly integrated into the fabric and are barely noticeable. This eliminates any bulkiness or discomfort that is associated with many electric heating blankets. The wires are also evenly spaced, usually by 3 inches, to ensure even heat distribution throughout the blanket is achieved and that there are no ‘cold’ or ‘hot’ spots.
- Blanket is divided into separate zones – This is to facilitate a greater degree of warmth and comfort for different individuals.
- Pre-heating feature – Makes sure the bed is warm and cozy before diving in.
- Ultra-thin wires – Eliminates the discomfort associated with traditional warming wires.
- Even heating – Ensures the distribution of heat throughout the blanket is uniform.
- Extra fiber fill layer – The wires are wrapped in fiber fill ensuring greater comfort.
- Saves energy – This electric throw uses much less energy compared to the other models.
- 5 year warranty
- Some companies may refuse to honor the product warranty.
Looking for a luxurious queen size electric blanket that you can snuggle in during the cold season? If so, the Bidderford 2063-9032138 might just be for you. Brandishing a magnificent blue, this full size electric blanket bears an elegant appearance that is sure to complement just about any bedroom. Comprised purely of polyester, users of this blanket are guaranteed high durability and longevity. Since polyester is also highly resistant to wrinkles users are also guaranteed the blanket will maintain its plush appearance for a long time to come. The blanket is machine washable for the user’s convenience and usually comes with a manufacturer warranty of up to 5 years.
- Lightweight – Weighs only 6.8 pounds
- Aesthetically pleasing – Comes in a magnificent blue color.
- 10 Personal heat settings – Allows users to adjust to get the desired right temperature
- Two controllers – This applies to King and Queen sized beds.
- 100% polyester – Polyester is highly durable and soft to the touch.
- Machine washable – Can be cleaned by a washing machine or a dryer without any damage.
- Automatic shut-off feature – Disables the flow of current after 10 hours to prevent safety hazards.
- Some units may stop functioning abruptly after a short period of use.
9. Shavel Home Products Thermee Electric Blanket
The Shavel Thermee electric blanket is one of the best electric heating blankets as it is quilted with 7 polyester layers. The layers enhance the ability of the fabric to maintain warmth above and beyond that of other blankets which only have 2 or 3 quilted layers. The wiring in this blanket is also state of the art and involves special wrapping of the wires in electrical dampening cloth ensuring there are no current leaks whatsoever. Soft layers of alternating polyester are stacked above and below the wires which are then quilted together beautifully, and finally a satin hem is added to give the blanket a stylish finish.
- 100% polyester – Polyester is very soft to touch and contains fibers that do not degrade easily.
- 7 Quilted layers – It contains 7 expertly interwoven layers to provide the user with maximum comfort.
- 8 secure heat settings – Provides the user with a large variety to choose from in order to get the temperature that is just right.
- Long electrical cord – Possesses a sixteen foot electrical cord for ease of use
- ETL tested – The Shavel Thermee blanket has been proven to meet the minimum prescribed safety standards.
- The blanket works well but is relatively heavy.
The Greenlee 860-1 PVC heating blanket is one of the best blankets to use to bend PVCs. If you’re a PVC contractor you’ll find this blanket to be highly invaluable due to its numerous great features. First off, it’s very easy to use. There are no complicated instructions to follow. The blanket can generate up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (149 ° Celsius) and comes with a heavy duty cord for enhanced durability and longevity. The blanket facilitates even heating of the PVC for uniform bending and comes with built in stiffeners to maintain the blanket’s adherence to the PVC surface.
- Uniform heating – This PVC blanket is built to facilitate even heating to enable uniform bending to occur.
- Heavy duty cord – It possess a thick cord to guarantee a long life
- High temperature – The blanket can sustain up to 300 ° Fahrenheit (148 ° Celsius) for effective performance.
- In built stiffeners – The stiffeners work by increasing the adherence of the blanket to the PVC.
- Easy to use – The blanket comes with a loop strap and a hook for ease of use.
- May require supplementing with a heat gun when dealing with extremely tough PVC
Factors to Consider When Purchasing Electric Blankets
Here are a few factors to be considered when purchasing electric blankets.
Electric blankets come in a variety of materials e.g. Micro plush, Sherpa, Faux fur, Polyester e.t.c. When choosing a heated throw blanket the nature and quality of the material is important as it will determine the ability of the blanket to retain warmth after the current is switched off, the rate of energy consumption of the blanket, the durability of the blanket, the level of comfort accorded and even the blanket’s long-term aesthetics.
One of the most highly recommended materials for electric blankets is Polyester. For all the cotton lovers, please note that polyester fares much better than cotton in electric blankets.
For one, it has much stronger fibers. Polyester is a synthetic material which has been crafted to be much stronger. This is unlike cotton whose fibers are all natural. Due to its synthetic nature, polyester is also highly resistant to shrinkage when washed and also tends to last longer. Compared to cotton, polyester is also cheaper.
If you have to choose a blanket comprised of only one material it is advisable to choose a polyester electric blanket such as the Sunbeam Micro plush heated Blanket, BSM9BQS-R772-16A00 which is comprised of 100% polyester.
However, if you’re still a fan of cotton you might consider seeking a polyester-cotton electric blanket blend to enjoy the best of both materials.
Size is important to consider depending on how you intend to use the electric blanket. You can either plan to use it on your bed or to wrap it around yourself while you’re on the sofa. If you plan to use it on your bed you’ll need a large blanket that will stretch and cover all the four corners. Depending on your bed size you might even require a king sized or a queen sized electric blanket to meet your needs. In such a case, the Soft Heat Ultra Micro-Plush Low-Voltage Electric Heated Triple-Rib King Size Blanket, Beige might be the blanket for you.
If your intention however, is to use the blanket to snuggle up on your couch then an electric throw blanket is worth considering.
There are also smaller electric throw blankets that can be used while traveling. Regardless of how you plan to use them, an appropriately sized blanket is essential to avoid an unnecessarily high heating bill. It also makes cleaning and maintenance much easier.
- Safety Features
You’re sleeping in a blanket that has wires criss-crossing the fabric while channeling current – it only makes sense to ensure your safety is always guaranteed considering the dangers that electric currents can pose to humans.
To be safe, enquire about the overheating protection, if any, of a given blanket. If a blanket lacks any overheating features, move on and find one that does. The overheating protection feature ensures that the blanket automatically shuts off current flow once it detects an abnormal rise in temperature.
The blanket should also have temperature controls that are easy to use and maneuver. This is to facilitate easy adjustment of temperature at any time of the night. The controls should always be within reach where the user can control them intuitively. This doubles up as a safety feature that allows the user to lower the temperature at will, should it become too warm.
Preferably the blanket should have digital controls instead of analogue controllers. Digital controls are much easier to manipulate than analogue ones. It should be noted though that the style of the controllers (digital vs. analogue) is not considered to be an influential factor by many.
If you don’t have the time to check through the various safety features that each blanket possesses simply look for the ETL mark on the product. An ETL listed mark is awarded to any product that is confirmed by the North America Safety Standards Authority to have met the minimum prescribed safety requirements.
The blanket should be fairly easy to maintain. Maintenance in this respect refers to the procedures that are required to be undertaken in order to clean the blanket. If a blanket can only be washed by hand chances are that blanket will be difficult to maintain. This is true especially if you have a queen or a king size electric blanket. Trying to remove foam out of such a large blanket can be a tedious task. Rinsing it thoroughly will also be very challenging. Most electric heating blankets today are machine washable and machine dryable. Unless you don’t mind manual cleaning then it is advisable to prioritize machine washable blankets.
If you’re purchasing a dual controls electric blanket to keep you warm for health reasons, you need to consider acquiring a blanket that has a built in timer. This is important if you need heat applied to specific body parts to help relieve joint and muscle pains for specified durations but you don’t want to have to get up to turn off the blanket in the middle of the night.
- Plug Location
Normally the location of the plug in the mattress is not a highly influential factor unless the location of your socket is positioned in an odd area of your room. In most cases the plug in the blanket is situated at the middle or at the bottom edge of a corner. Depending on where your socket is located you may need to choose a blanket with a cord length that suits your needs.
- Heat Settings
The general rule when considering heat settings is: the more the better. Most blankets have between 3 and 5 heat settings. However, some blankets such as the Sunbeam luxurious Velvet plush king size electric blanket have up to 20 different heat settings! While this may seem extravagant and unnecessary to some users it is important to point out that such blankets are mainly bought for therapeutic reasons. People suffering from joint and muscle pains as a result of other ailments may require specific temperatures to receive relief. In most cases such temperatures can only be achieved by using such advanced heated blankets.
Electric Blanket Safety
When it comes to electric blanket usage, safety is often voiced as one of the primary concerns. This is understandable considering that electricity is brought much closer to the individual than in any other form of heating. As a result, many questions are posed on the proper use of these blankets and the possible implications to different people (and pets) that may arise due to interacting with them.
With that in mind, here are 3 popular questions asked about electric blanket safety.
- Are electric blankets safe for pets?
This is one of the most popular questions posed by pet owners who often sleep with their pets in the same bed. Some owners have stated that their pets enjoy the heat generated by the blankets and are observed to jump onto a bed immediately the electric blanket is turned on.
So, does the heat have any negative effects to dogs, cats and other pets?
Electric blankets do produce electromagnetic fields that can harm pets and cause health complications to them if they are exposed to the fields for long periods. In order to reduce the harmful effects of EMFs, owners are advised to purchase soft heat electric blankets that produce less EMFs when they convert potentially dangerous alternating currents to a much safer form (direct currents).
On another related note; pets should be discouraged from sharing electric blankets with their owners as the pets could damage the insulation around the wires with their claws leaving them bare thus posing a safety hazard.
If you’d like to keep your pet warm it is advisable to purchase a separate mattress pad suited for the animal.
- Is it okay to use an electric blanket if you have an artificial pacemaker?
Artificial pacemakers serve to regulate heartbeats through the use of low energy electrical impulses. The pacemaker comprises of an electrical circuitry, a lithium battery and a titanium pulse generator that are all interconnected. While the pacemaker’s pulse generator can be affected by metal detectors (especially with prolonged exposure), mp3 player headphones and prolonged exposure to cell phones that emit more than 3 watts, they have not been shown to be affected by the use of electric blankets. This is according to reports by the American Heart Association. While there have never been any reported cases of pacemaker problems due to the use of electric bedding, individuals are advised to look up the manufacturer and consult with their doctor anyway.
- Are electric blankets okay for pregnant women?
Unlike the other two questions, the jury is still out on this one. There are conflicting opinions about what should be done. Some doctors recommend using electric bedding stating there are no negative effects while others are completely against it. In such cases where there are differing opinions the best choice to make is to avoid any use of the product in question until a conclusive decision is arrived upon especially if the stakes are very high as is the case with pregnant women.
According to some physicians, the electromagnetic fields (EMFs) produced by the blankets as they generate heat can affect fetal development. To be safe it is wise not to rubbish these claims until a substantial finding is arrived at.
The only instance electric bedding can be used without any worry at all is in pre-heating the bed to avoid icy sheets. Once this is done the blanket can be turned and removed before getting into bed.
Advantages of Using Electric Blankets
Using heated bedding is among the best ways to sleep at night. Heated bedding is more comfortable than traditional bedding and will help you feel more refreshed. Here are 5 benefits of using electric blankets.
- Therapeutic relief.
If you’re suffering from Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, post-polio syndrome, Raynaud’s phenomenon or a disease that affects joints and muscle movements then you are guaranteed some form of therapeutic relief from using electric blankets.
According to researchers, heat is the best remedy for alleviating pains related with stiffness and muscle tension. In all the aforementioned ailments, the heat generated by the blankets will help provide therapeutic relief by increasing the flow of blood to the muscles and the skin surrounding the affected body parts. Usually, patients with these disorders are advised to take warm baths and showers and take part in multiple sauna sessions to increase their healing rate. However, these activities can be time consuming and unenjoyable not to mention costly (in the case of sauna). Electric blankets are the most conducive option. They can be used at night when sleeping, in a car when traveling and even while you’re sitting at the couch or at your desk working (this is achieved through the use of heated throw blankets designed specifically for this purpose).
If you’re thinking your current electric heater trumps this blanket, think again. The blanket is much safer and much easier to use compared to an electric heater. It consumes much less energy which makes it much less of a safety hazard and it can also be programmed to shutoff at specific times providing the user with much greater convenience.
- Saves Energy.
Are your concerned about incurring high heating bills during the winter months and other cold seasons due to using electrical heaters? If so, consider adopting the electric blanket to lower your costs. Heated blankets such as the soft heat luxury micro-fleece king size blanket is built using low voltage wiring that requires less energy to function. In this and other newer models, instead of using energy directly from the source, the blankets are built with mini-transformers that convert the unstable alternating current from the sockets to a milder form of electricity (direct current) that has a much lower voltage leading to less energy consumption.
- “Perfect” Temperatures
An extra benefit of electrical blankets is the ability to achieve the exact desired temperatures. Users can down their thermostat and adjust the temperature of the blanket accordingly to meet their heat requirements. Blankets such as the Sunbeam luxurious velvet plush come with a whopping 20 heat settings to provide users with a wide variety of setting to choose from to get their desired temperature. If you’re concerned about sharing a bed with a partner who may not prefer the same temperatures that you do, don’t be. You can obtain a large blanket that is split into two parts with two separate heat controllers that can be used to adjust the warmth on each side separately.
The blanket is made from materials that have a soft feel and retain heat well which make them very comfortable. Polyester, for instance, which is the most common material for making these blankets, is very soft. It also has a very low moisture absorption ability which adds to its comfort level. Similarly, the dimensional stability of this material is very high which makes it among the best to use in those cold winter months.
- Even heat distribution
Heated blankets incorporate ThermoFine technology – a unique wiring technology that monitors the amount of heat generated by the body with that generated by the blanket and adjusts the temperatures accordingly to ensure the range of warmth is within the subscribed limit. It also ensures the heat is evenly distributed to all parts of the blankets.
- Pre-warming Feature
Pregnant mothers and other people who might be concerned about the Electromagnetic fields of the blanket affecting their bodies can still use the blanket albeit in a passive manner. During the chilly seasons, they can use the blanket to make their bed warm beforehand by using the preheat function that is included. Depending on the blanket that is chosen, users can choose from up to 20 different settings that will provide the bed with the temperature they want. This completely revolutionizes the sleeping experience for the better.
- Sinus Relief
Sinus problems may result due to prolonged use of electric heaters that cause the temperature of a room to be high. To achieve cooler temperature to avoid sinus issues, it is advisable to use an electric blanket.
- Highly Durable
Electric blankets, especially those made of Polyester, have been known to last a very long time. This means you don’t have to worry about making another purchase anytime soon immediately after acquiring one. Polyester is comprised of synthetic fibers which are designed to be much tougher than the traditional fibers of materials such as cotton. As a result polyester fibers break down at a much slower rate. The fibers are also highly resistant to shrinking and wrinkles. This means you can have an “old” blanket that still looks good despite multiple uses.
How to Wash an Electric Blanket
The idea of washing electric bedding may seem dangerous and risky due to the wiring interwoven into the fabric. However, it’s not.
Here is everything you need to know about the cleaning process.
Washing can be done:
- By hand
Like any ordinary blanket, the electric type can also be washed by hand.
Before you plunge it into water ensure it is completely unplugged from any power source and the cord is unplugged from the blanket to avoid electrocution.
Next, obtain lukewarm water and fill a tub with it. The water should be enough to enable the blanket to move around freely.
Obtain a mild detergent, add it to the water and lather it up until the water becomes sudsy. Insert the blanket into the tub and allow it to rest for 15 min.
After the time lapses, remove the blanket from the soapy water and squeeze it gently for about a minute and then proceed to rinse it. To remove the excess water, ONLY squeeze the blanket gently. Please note, wringing the blanket may compromise the integrity of the wires hence it is not recommended.
- By machine
Electric blankets can also be washed by machines. If you choose to use this option you need to proceed with caution. Treating an electric blanket like an ordinary blanket might lead to extensive damage.
Consider these steps to get the best results.
Soak the blanket in cold water with mild soap in a washer and let it rest for 15 minutes. Afterwards, wash it using the “gentle” or “delicate” setting for about 2 minutes. Once done, rinse the blanket in cold water and then allow it to spin dry.
Alternatively, you can start by adding lukewarm water to the washer with some mild detergent and set the washer to “gentle” or “delicate” and run it for a minute. Once the water has been agitated for the duration, stop the washer and insert the blanket. Let it soak for 15 minutes and then restart the washer but this time let it run for 2 minutes through the spin and rinse cycles.
You can choose to either sun-dry the blanket or to dry it through a dryer. Should you choose to use a dryer; you should only use a low setting to avoid damaging the wiring. In respect, avoid commercial dryers and laundromats as these tend to emit hot moisture that is destructive to the blanket’s fibers. When using the dryer, turn it on and let it run for 2 minutes on the low setting and then insert your blanket into the dryer to tumble dry for a maximum of 10 min. Once done, you can remove the blanket and hang it outside to dry.
If you choose to not use a dryer you can simply hang the blanket outside to dry from the beginning. Just ensure you use a clothesline and that the blanket is fully stretched to its original size and shape.
A word of caution, do not use the blanket unless it is completely dry to avoid safety risks.